The key to
avoiding a tick & flea infestation is to ensure that you catch it in the
beginning stage itself or prevent it from occurring at all.
Some basic things you can do to ensure that your dog is parasite free –
· Make sure you groom your dog atleast once a day. A daily grooming session will make sure that the threat of ticks and flea is reduced and under control.
· Daily inspections of your dog for fleas and ticks during the warm seasons are important. Use a flea comb to find and remove fleas.
· Use of a tick collar is recommended.
· Dusting your dog with some anti tick and flea powder just before you go for a walk sometimes helps to keep away parasites which your dog may come across during his walk.
· Bathing within regular intervals and using an appropriate shampoo can avoid a tick problem. Ask your veterinarian to recommend a good shampoo.
· Decisions about methods such as tick baths, spot ons, skin applications, oral medication and anti tick and flea injections should not be taken by the owner. This should be done in consultation with a veterinarian.